Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Home Opener - Florida Panthers

Whoooooooooo-hooooooooooooooooooo ---- less than 40 days until the Florida Panthers open the 2007-2008 National Hockey League season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, it is 39 days and 19 hours exactly as I write this blog entry. I have my tickets for the home opener, but have yet to latch onto a ticket plan. My wife and I had a 13-game mini-plan last season (but, I ended up seeing about 22 home games), but I was not permitted to renew at what I had originally paid for the two tickets during their end of the year renewal drive ("Pay now and lock in for 07-08 for what one paid for the 06-07 season"). I was not a happy camper --- so, instead, we'll go to less games and pick and choose. The must-see games are my hometown Leafs (GO LEAFS GO!) in December and February and my wife's Montreal Canadiens. Sell outs are assured for the games in December --- snowbirds galore and French Canadians in Speedos (just kidding --- too cold at the Bank Atlantic Center).

Hockey is a difficult sell down in South Florida, and I just cannot figure out why it is so with all the transplanted Northeasterners --- this area is a melange of New Yorkers, New Jerseyians, Pennsylvanians, and immigrants from Massachusetts and the smattering of midwesterners. Football...this is the true love down here; or as the short-lived 1970's sitcom, San Pedro Beach Bums said, "Football, you bet!". South Floridians love the 'Fins --- may it be another year of frustration. If the Panthers play up to their expectations, it could be a very interesting season now that the Ghost of Roberto Luongo has been purged with the addition of Tomas Vokoun. Only time will tell.